For the protection of people from natural calamities caused by nature's elements - PANCHA DEEPAM
At this space lamps are lit to register one's presence. Five oils are used to light a lamp.
It is believed that these five oils represent the elements that we are made of. It balances the energies within us. Lighting a lamp registers your presence and hence opens the channel to connect the person to specific cosmic energies. 'May a light shine always in your life' is the wish for the individual.
The oils used are
- Neem for Shakthi and to please Rahu and Ketu
- Castor for the feminine energy of creation
- Gingelly for Saturn, believed to infl uence the extension of life
- Illupa (Mahua) for many subtle energies
- Ghee to get the blessings of Kamadhenu, the munificent cow.